Saturday, November 16
10:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Lunch by Savoury City
- Prizes by Kermodi Living Art
- 4 four-end games
- Standard curling, doubles, skins
- Skills challenge
Teams of 8 curl in a “Continental Cup” style of play and the team that earns the most points becomes Pink Broom Champions! All players are encouraged to wear their team colour. Rock the Rainbow!
Pink Broom Schedule
- 9:30 am to 10:00 am: Registration open
- 10:00 am to 11:00 am: Standard Curling (4 ends)
- 11:00 am to 11:30 am: Welcome and Team Activity
- 11:30 am to 12:30 pm: Skins Curling (4 ends)
- 12:30 pm to 12:45 pm: Skills Challenge
- 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm: Lunch by Savoury City
- 1:30 pm to 2:30 pm: Doubles Curling A (4 ends)
- 2:45 pm to 3:45 pm: Doubles Curling B (4 ends)
- 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm: Skins Curling (4 ends)
- 5:00 pm to 5:30 pm: Awards
How to Play a Skins Curling Game
Flip a coin to determine who has the hammer in the first end. Hammer alternates between teams after each end regardless the result. One team will have hammer in Ends 1 and 3. The other team will have hammer in ends 2 and 4.
Team with hammer must score 2 or more points to win the skin.
Team without hammer must steal 1 or more points to win the skin.
In the case of a blank end or the team with hammer scores only one point, the skin is not won and it is carried over to the next end. This continues until a team accomplishes its objective and wins the skins. If the fourth end is a carry over, the skips draw to the button to determine which team wins the skins.
Marking the score:
Simply mark a 1 for the team that wins the skin in each end. Mark a 0 if the skin is not won.
Skins is an aggressive game. It doesn’t matter if the team with hammer scores 2 or 8 points against you, so go hard for the steal in each end if you do not have the hammer. Teams with hammer should make sure to score at least a single to carry the skin over to the next end.
How to Play a Doubles Curling Game
Flip a coin to determine who has the hammer in the first end. The team that did no score in the previous end has hammer in the next end.
Setup and Delivery:
- Each team plays with six stones (one is pre-set and five are thrown).
- Team with hammer places their first stone on the button behind the tee line.
- Team without hammer places their first stone as a centre guard (mid way).
- Player 1 throws 1st and 5th stone of the end.
- Player 2 throws 2nd, 3rd and 4th stone of the end.
- If desired, players can alternate positions of being Player 1 or 2 as the game proceeds.
Sweeping: The non-throwing player must be positioned inside of the hog line of the scoring end as the stone is being delivered. After the stone has been delivered, either player or both can sweep the stone.
Taking out stones: The 2nd stone of the team with hammer is the first stone in the end that can remove any placed or thrown stone to an out of play position. If an earlier stone removes another stone from play, the removed stone(s) are replaced and the thrown stone is removed.
Scoring is the same as in standard curling. Mark the score on the electronic scoreboard after each of the four ends.
If you have any questions about the Pink Broom or registration, contact us.